Jute is a long shiny vegetable fibre that can be spun into coarse strong threads. India, China and Bangladesh are three major producers in the cultivation or production of jute fibre.
Before understanding the diseases, lets know different parts of a jute plant so that we can understand where to look for the diseases.
The diseases described in this section are:
- Stem rot of jute
- Anthracnose of jute
- Black band of jute
- Soft rot of jute
1. Stem rot of jute
Soft rot of jute
- Sclerotium rolfsii
Characteristics of pathogen
- Mycelia golden brown in color.
- Mycelia profusely branched.
- Sclerotium forms within 5 to 7 days.
- Infection on the base of the stem and near the soil.
- The infected part becomes spoiled.
- Sclerotia formed.
- Infected part: Golden brown.
- If seedlings get infected, they have a difficulty to survive.
- Burning the infected plant.
- Deep ploughing of the soil.
- Soil treatment.
Foliar spray of fungicide.
- Somudro Mahbub Nasir on 10 July 2021